Peppermint, cocoa and M&Ms: what more could a muffin want? Oh, thatís right, a whole lot of butter! These deliciously minty treats are the perfect snack to stifle those sugary cravings after a long day at work.
Ingredients 125g melted butter
1 1/3 cup of brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
ĺ cup milk
ľ cup cocoa powder
1 ľ cup of self-raising flour
1 teaspoon peppermint essence
Approximately 1/3 cup of M&Ms
Icing Ingredients (to be used in steps 8, 9 and 10):
125g of butter, softened
1 Ĺ cup of icing sugar
1 teaspoon of peppermint essence
3 drops of green food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Place the sugar, butter, milk and eggs into a large bowl. Mix rapidly to combine.
3. Sift the cocoa and flour into the above mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until itís thick and smooth.
4. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases and divide the finished mixture among them (I find it easiest if I use a metal tablespoon to divide up the mixture).
5. Bake for 20-25minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of each muffin.
6. After theyíre cooked, leave the muffins in the tray for at least five minutes before removing.
7. Itís best to wait another ten minutes before applying the icing (this ensures that the muffins have cooled enough so that the icing doesnít melt when spread over their tops).
For the icing
8. Place the softened butter in a bowl and beat with electric beaters until light and fluffy.
9. Gradually add the icing sugar to the butter, beating after each new addition until the mixture is smooth.
10. Add the peppermint essence and green food colouring. Again beat the mixture, this time until it all turns green.
11. Spread the icing over the top of each muffin.
12. Sprinkle the M&Ms over the muffins to decorate.