This Greek yogurt recipe is very easy to perform at home. Greek yogurt is protein rich and highly nutritive. The best way I like to eat it is at breakfast by mixing with blueberries and nuts. A great way to start your day.
Preparation Time: 12 h.
Cooking Time: 20-40 minutes.
Ingredients 3.8 litres of milk
1 tbsp. of plain yogurt
Straining bag or cotton/cheese cloth.
Method • Transfer the milk into a pot and bring it to a boil.
• Transfer the pot containing hot milk into another slightly larger pot containing cold water.
• Insert a cooking thermometer into the outer pot containing water.
• When the temperature reads 49C, place the pot containing water and milk on a low heat.
• Take a small amount of milk in a cup and add the yogurt to it. Mix well and add it to the milk in the vessel, stir to homogenize everything.
• Monitor the temperature and maintain it 49C, turn on heat if it goes below that. Cover the milk vessel with a plate.
• After 3-4 h, you will see the yogurt formed. Once formed, put the pot away on a shelf and leave overnight (optional).
• Filter the yogurt using straining bag or cotton/cheese cloth. You can control the dryness of yogurt by controlling the filtration time or squeezing the straining bag.
• Transfer the filtrate or whey and use it for making smoothies, etc.
• Transfer the yogurt into bottles and store in the refrigerator (lasts for 1-2 weeks at least).
• Serve yogurt at breakfast, mixing it with blueberries and nuts. A very healthy, antioxidant and protein rich diet.