Phad Thai is one of those dishes that looks complicated because of all the ingredients but is actually one of the quickest and easiest dishes to make. It's one of my house favourites and is the dish I turn too when I can't be bothered cooking and want something fresh, healthy, tasty and textural - fast!
Note: This recipe uses chicken - you can also add shrimps or make a vegetarian version without the chicken or substituting it for tofu.
Ingredients 500g chicken breast, cut into thin strips
250g packet of flat rice noodles (i use the thinner ones but thickness is up to you)
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
1 red capsicum (or half red, half green)
1 brown onion, cut into thin wedges
1 red chilli, sliced thinly in rounds
2 eggs (optional - this is to make an omlette that you will slice and stir through your pad thai.)
1/4 cup soy sauce
2tbsp fish sauce
1/2 a lime juiced
2tbsp brown sugar
2 spring onions, sliced
1/3 cup bean sprouts
1/3 cup corriander leaves chopped slightly
1 red chilli, slices thinly in rounds
1/2 a lemon cut into slices
A good glug of peanut oil for the pan (about 2 tbsp)
Method 1. Make the sauce - adding soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar into a bowl. Stir well so the sugar is disolved.
2. Add chicken strips to sauce and mix through coating the chicken in the mixture. Set aside.
3. Beat eggs in a bowl and set aside.
4. In a small frying pan heat 1 tbsp oil to high heat. Poor in beaten eggs spreading them around the pan and cook for approx 4 minutes to make your omlette. Then set aside. Once cooled, slice into thin strips
5. Place the rice noodles into a bowl or dish, boil the kettle and cover noodles with boiling water. Leave for approx 5 minutes while you make the phad thai.
6. In a seperate wox or large frying pan heat the oil to medium heat.
7. Add garlic, onion and chillies and fry for one minute, then add chicken and sauce to the pan.
8. Fry for about 3-5 minutes until chicken is almost cooked and add then stir through the capsicum.
9. Once capsicum starts to soften and chicken is cooked through, strain the noodles and stir through.
10. Stir through sliced omlette.
11. Serve into bowls and garnish with chopped chillies, spring onions, corriander, bean sprouts, crushed peanuts and a wedge of lemon to squeeze over.