Eggplants are a very interesting vegetable and are closely related to both the tomato and potato. While there are many recipes readily available for tomatoes and potatoes, I find that eggplant recipes are less common. So if you are interested in giving eggplant a go, here is a quick, simple and healthy dish that is full of nutrients and flavour.
: 10 minutes
: 35 minutes
: 6 servings
3 medium eggplants
2 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 90g can tuna, drained
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup oregano leaves
1 lemon, rind finely grated
1 tbsp Garlic paste or 2 cloves crushed
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup Italian tomato pasta sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a tray with aluminium foil.
2. Cut the eggplant in half lengthways and cut a 1 centimetre border around the inside. Scoop out the flesh and place aside for later.
3. Put the eggplant shells in the prepared tray, drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. Dice the eggplant flesh finely.
6. Add oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until brown.
7. Add the eggplant flesh and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
8. Transfer into a large bowl.
9. Wash and chop the oregano leaves finely.
10. Add the tuna, breadcrumbs, oregano, lemon rind, garlic and egg with the eggplant and onions.
11. Combine well with a metal spoon.
12. Spoon the mixture into the eggplant shells and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
13. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
14. Heat the pasta sauce in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering and transfer to servingware.
15. Serve the stuffed eggplants hot with the pasta sauce.
Copyright 2012,2013,2014 On Topic Media PTY LTD. ABN 18113479226.