Pumpkin scones are a sweet scone which are delicious served buttered. Children are likely to enjoy them even if they don’t usually eat pumpkin so you might be able to pop some in their lunch boxes. Half a cup of sultanas or chopped dates can be added if desired.
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time: About 10 minutes
Makes: 12 medium size scones
Ingredients 1 tablespoon softened butter or margarine
1/3 cup raw sugar
1 lightly beaten egg
˝ teaspoon cinnamon or mixed spice
1 cup cooked pumpkin, mashed and cooled
2 cups S.R. flour
Method • Cream butter and sugar in medium sized bowl.
Cream butter and sugar
• Add egg, cinnamon and pumpkin.
• (Half a cup of sultanas or chopped dates can be added if desired.)
• Mix well.
Add egg, cinnamon and pumpkin
• Add sifted flour.
Add sifted flour
• Stir until all ingredients are mixed. Do not over mix. The mixture will be fairly sticky.
• Pat out to 2.5cm thickness on a well floured board.
• Cut out using a well floured medium scone cutter.
Cut out using scone cutter
• Place on a greased baking tray. Scones rise better if they are touching.
Place on baking tray
• Bake at 220c for about 10 minutes or until light brown.