This Caramel Slice is pretty much the most guilt-free, feel-good, superfood-packed Caramel Slice you’re ever going to experience. It doesn’t require cooking so even the most novice of home cooks are guaranteed to nail it. It has a lovely moist base of walnuts, almonds, rice syrup and real vanilla bean. The centre has a very fudgy and tasty combination of fresh medjool dates, coconut oil, nut butter, sea salt and a little raw cacao powder. It’s then topped with melted dark chocolate. It’s that easy.
• 1 cup almonds
• 1 cup walnuts
• 1/4 whole vanilla bean (or 1 tsp essence)
• 1/4 cup rice syrup
• 1 cup virgin coconut oil
• 1 cup almond or cashew butter
• 10 large medjool dates
• 1/2 tsp seasalt
• 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
• 100g of your favourite dark chocolate (min 70% cocoa solids)
1. In a food processor, whiz the nuts and vanilla bean until a fine nut meal is formed.
2. Add the rice syrup and whiz until evenly combined.
3. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and press down firmly and evenly.
4. Place the loaf tin the freezer while you prepare the ‘Centre’.
1. In the food processor (don’t worry about washing it), add the coconut oil, nut butter, salt and cacao powder. Whiz until well combined.
2. One at a time, add the dates until they are mixed through, leaving no chunks.
3. Remove the loaf tin from the freezer and pour the ‘Centre’ mixture ontop of the ‘Base’.
4. Return the tin to the freezer on level surface.
1. In a double boiler, melt dark chocolate.
2. Remove the tin from the freezer and using a fork, score the ‘Centre’ making a rough surface for the chocolate topping layer to stick to.
3. Pour the chocolate mixture onto the ‘ Centre’ layer and spread quickly and evenly.
4. Return to the freezer and allow to set for another 1 hour before slicing and serving.
5. For best results, store in an airtight container in the freezer.