Perhaps you would like a couple of pikelets when you make a batch for the family but you don’t eat eggs and milk. Maybe you are running short of groceries and don’t have eggs and milk on hand. No problem, these simple pikelets don’t contain either. They are delicious served with any of the toppings usually served with pancakes or pikelets.
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time About 5 minutes
Makes: 8 small pikelets
1 cup SR flour
1 tablespoon custard powder
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup water
Margarine or butter for cooking pikelets.
Method • Sift SR flour and custard powder into medium or large bowl.
Sift flour and custard powder
• Add sugar.
• Pour in water.
• Mix well.
• Heat frypan over moderate heat and melt margarine or butter.
• Add pikelet mixture to pan. I like small pikelets but you can make bigger ones if you prefer.
Cook pikelets in melted butter or margarine
• When bubbles appear (after about 2-3 minutes) turn pikelets over.
Turn over when bubbles appear
• Cook other side until golden.
Cook until golden
• Remove from frypan and place on paper towel to drain any excess margarine.
Place on paper towel
• Serve with jam and cream, pancake syrup, honey, golden syrup or topping of your choice. I like cottage or ricotta cheese and jam.