This dish is one of my childhood favorites. My mother would pick up a whole raw green jackfruit from the local farmer and cut it into small pieces to prepare this dish. I have always found it difficult to do so because the fruit is slippery and the skin is really hard. Luckily, we can find cans of green jackfruit in stores these days. It saves a lot of time and effort.
Ingredients 1 can of raw green jackfruit ( This is not sweet)
2 medium tomatoes
2-3 green chilies
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon of red chilli powder
2 tablespoon of coriander powder
2-3 tablespoons dry mango powder
Oil for frying
Salt as per taste
Pinch of asafoetida
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Method • Empty the can of jackfruit in a colander and rinse it properly. Below is a picture of the can of jackfruit I used. Make sure it is raw or green jackfruit.
•Chop it if you need small pieces.
• Heat oil in a wok.
• Add jackfruit pieces and fry them until golden brown.
• Lay them on a paper to get rid of excess oil.
• Puree tomatoes and green chilies together.
• Add asafoetida and cumin seeds to the remaining hot oil. If there is an excess of oil remaining in the wok, remove the amount desired.
• Add tomato puree and ginger.
• Add salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder and dry mango powder at this stage.
• Let the sauce cook until the oil separates out.
• Add fried jackfruit and stir-fry for few minutes until all the pieces of jackfruit are coated in sauce.
• Switch off the heat.
• Garnish it with coriander and serve it as is or with chutney.