These biscuits are based on a recipe from my childhood. I have made some changes to the original and it is easy to make further changes if you are feeling creative. They are nice biscuits for afternoon tea or to put in lunch boxes. When I baked the biscuits this time I made half of them as per the basic recipe and added ½ cup Milo cereal to the other half for variety. If you use butter instead of margarine the biscuits taste richer. You can use raw sugar for a change.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: About 15 minutes
Makes: 24 medium sized biscuits
110 g margarine
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup SR flour
½ cup custard powder
½ cup desiccated coconut
Optional 1 cup cereal such as Milo Whole Grain Wheat and Corn
Method • Cream sugar and margarine in medium or large bowl.
Cream margarine and sugar
• Add egg and vanilla essence and mix.
Add the egg and vanilla
• Sift SR flour and custard powder and add to mixed ingredients.
• Add coconut and mix.
Add flour, custard powder and coconut
• Optional - Add 1 cup cereal such as Milo Wheat and Corn and mix. Half a cup chopped nuts is another variation.
Optional, add cereal or chopped nuts
• Roll into balls the size of small walnuts and place on greased oven tray.
Place balls of dough on greased tray
• Press with floured fork.
Press with fork
• Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes until golden brown.